Town Hall Transformation
In October 2021, proposals set to regenerate cultural and heritage sites in Kidderminster were approved by the Government’s Levelling Up Fund. The regeneration proposal submitted in July by North Worcestershire Economic Development Regeneration, on behalf of Wyre Forest District Council, will see a further £17.9m invested into three key projects in Kidderminster Town Centre.
The first project is to refurbish Kidderminster Town Hall in partnership with Kidderminster Town Council. The Town Hall is a key town centre heritage asset, a cultural space and events venue.
The ambition of the project team is for the Town Hall to become known and used as a community meeting and cultural venue rather than just a concert and events centre as at present. In recent years, the Town Hall has not been used to its full potential and there has been a narrowing of audiences which means that many people in the local community have failed to benefit from the facility or can see the relevance of the Hall to their lives. Therefore, the fundamental objective underpinning proposals is that Kidderminster Town Hall will cater for all the community, providing a range of activities, events, performances, learning opportunities and reasons to meet at the venue irrespective of age or background.
It will be open daytime and evenings, throughout the week and weekend, unlike at present when the public spaces are only open for an event.
Key project objectives
• Consideration of access, circulation and security for all to feel welcome and safe.
• Upgrading of performance/event venues and the back of house functions, in order to attract a range
of high quality productions to the Town Hall.
• Rear vehicle access for visiting productions to load/unload with access to the stage.
• A new courtyard meeting space at the heart of the Town Hall, uniting the two sides of the building.
• Front of house refurbishments to enhance the visitor experience for all.
• To reimagine the variety of existing spaces within Kidderminster Town Hall, which if adapted and used
creatively can increase the range of events and activities offered.
• To refurbish and protect the buildings historical assets, to allow them to be enjoyed and appreciated by
generations to come.
• To contribute to the revitalisation of Kidderminster at town centre, district and area wide levels.
Connect with us
Stay up to date and ahead of the game with our newsletters, social media and news.